Many people confuse feng shui as a type of mystical belief. In its truest sense, feng shui is more correctly called a technique. It’s a technique for aligning the energy of a space. Even with this knowledge, some people can become uncomfortable with the mixing of religion and spirituality with feng shui. Some feng shui practitioners who like to align feng shui with certain rituals, and who imbue these rituals and feng shui recommendations with a type of mysticism. This can cause a misunderstanding about feng shui being a spiritual practice. However, when it comes to traditional Chinese Feng Shui, the practice is decidedly more formulaic.
Below are 6 tips for working with religious items, images and icons.
1. Have Pooja Room/Altar in the Heaven position: In feng shui, heaven is associated with the northwest sector. When you display religious items on the altar in the home, place them in the northwest corner of the living room or home. This is a good sector to place statues or pictures of deities. It’s also a good location to place photos of deceased relatives.
2. Have Pooja Room/Altar close to the door: Altars placed directly opposite the front door (not in line with front door) are believed to be good for creating a spiritual home and considered to be very auspicious. They are also believed to spill blessings out to all who
enter the door.
3. Be respectful: Religious icons, statues, or altars should be well-lighted, kept clean, and in an elevated position (at least five feet from the floor). Religious items or symbols should be located in auspicious locations such as
living areas or foyer and not in kitchens, bathrooms, bedrooms, or dining areas.
4. Place symbols properly: Religious symbols have points and emit strong energy. They should not be displayed on the front door, at the end of a hall, across from a bed, or behind someone seated (such as at a dining table, desk, or sofa).
5. Secondary home’s spiritual sector: If you want to boost your spirituality and spiritual life, then consider moving your religious articles into the northeast portion of your house or living room. This is the direction that coincides with wisdom, spirituality, self growth, and education, and is an excellent location for meditation and prayer.
6. Put Spirituality at the heart of your home: The center of the home is a very important sector. It impacts health, wealth, and happiness. Create good feng shui by locating your icons, symbols, or pooja altars in a central location. Be sure that they are well-lit.
Important: Kindly consult any Feng Shui Consultant/Expert before making any changes.